Thursday, August 22, 2013

Home on the farm....


Home sweet home.....
Here is a bunch of photos from my spring and winter trip home, im clearly feeling homesick!  My parents and sister live on a farm in the north of england, a county called Northumberland. My sister farms with my dad, you can see her cottage further into the post, some how she got the farming genes and i didn't!  The longer i am away the more i miss the space, the view, the quiet, the air, the animals, and most importantly my family.  If only  the family farm wasn't a plane, train and a drive away it would solve the problem of getting out of the city and i could just go there at the weekend!  Anyway I thought i would share these and help you understand where some of my aesthetic come from. Such a beautiful place to go home to and an amazing way to grow up....




The drive up to the farm, and there's Shony my dad's quarter horse. He love america, and by America i mean the middle bit....



The sheep in the yard at the back of the house...


Christmas time, nothing quite like it....






View out over the fields...


A calf looking inquisitive ...


Arty shot, all about the color.  Spent a lot of time drawing and painting these during my "awkward" "artsy" teenage years, yes i was a "awkward and artsy" good times....



The best place to nap!


Litter of collie pups.  My dad breeds border collies so there is always a dog in pup, about to pup, or with pups when i am home. My sister also breeds dogs so you never know if there will be a litter of Labs, or Spaniels or what other surprise.  


More cows eating...


The wood out back of the house, this is the walk up to my sister cottage...


Dinner...


More of the driveway up to the farm ....


My sisters goat, i forget the name, not dinner...


Last trip home this is what i was greeted with.  After a 7hr flight into London, after a day at work, then a 4hr train, then an hour drive, i was roped into loading the sheep on the lorry to be sold.  Makes me laugh in these moments that the day before i was in manhattan.  In reality i just stood there i tried not to get in the way and not let my feet freeze off....




The most stylish person around, my sister working her hunter wellies 




More sheep loading






My niece pointing to my old tree house, 18 years and its still there so i did something right.  The zip line thankfully has been decommissioned.


Another snowy view


the village


New born lambs.  This is when my mum shared the process of birth with a bunch of under 6 year olds. What you don't see is the after birth covered lambs in the bay over and their disgusted and confused faces.  So fun to see there interest and my mums amazing way of explaining a new life to the kids!


What in manhattan is my dream car is two a penny at home.....




Just hanging out with an owl, you know just regular day...


More dinner....


The kids.  Jumping on the hay bales and building forts and tunnels as a kid was the most fun thing to do.  Me and my sister would spend hours doing this.  Now i see the danger of a kid jumping from bale to bale 20 ft of the the ground, but you know nothing safe is really fun!  


Copper stealing my spot by the fire...



My sisters house, well down the end of the track..



The snow and us digging out the car that is stuck in it....


Some sheep taking shelter, this is the view from my sisters front room, no sirens here :-)



A hare...



atta girl......






My dad doing his thing...


The night time check in with the cows when they are calving to make sure all is as it should be.


Me and sis, me mostly pretending to be a farmer.  In reality i was always the one that when behind the wheel of a tractor (said tractor was the crappy tractor that the gear would throw out, the accelerator would stick so you would have to stall it to stop it, and if the machinery on the back was too heavy it would buck at the front like a bronco) would knock down a wall, a gate or pretty much anything i shouldn't hit.  Also i was know to loose the piece of machinery on the back of the tractor and not realize for way to long, i mean with a walkman on (whitney houston) you barely could hear a thing.  My dad didn't hold out hope :-) I guess i was always more Lady Mary....





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...